When you are looking for westie breeders what you will discover is that there is more than one place to obtain a pooch. Although there are different ways that you can purchase this little white dog, there is only one type of west highland white terrier breeders that you should trust if you want a healthy pooch – A serious hobby breeder.
These westie breeders are dedicated to all of the canines in their breeding program. They choose to breed because they enjoy it, have the financial means to support it without expecting to make a profit and they like taking on the challenge of producing the finest possible canine. They stand behind every dog they have brought into this world, accepting full responsibility for their existence. These individuals will not give up one of their pups to just anyone interested in a pet.
The west highland white terrier breeders you want to do business with should…
• Ask you questions about your previous dog and westie experience. They will also want to know about your lifestyle (I.E. work schedule, if you have kids, etc.), as well as the type of home you live in, if you have a fenced yard and so on.
• Be willing to answer all of your questions without hesitation.
• Belong to an official club of your nation (I.E. American Kennel Club, West Highland White Terrier Club of America).
• Actively show their dogs in obedience ring, earthdog tests, etc. Without placing their canines in competitions, westie breeders will have no idea what the actual quality is of the dogs they produce.
• Raise the pups in a clean, warm and happy environment and invite you to see their surroundings and interact with the animals prior to making any deals.
• Provide references. This should include the names of other owners that have purchased from these west highland white terrier breeders and their veterinarian.
• Participate in regular testing for genetic diseases, such as CERF (Canine Eye Registration Foundation), OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals), etc.
• Provide you with all of the records you need. This may include vaccination types and dates they were administered, 3-5 generation pedigree, Club registration papers and more.
• Give you instructions on how to care, feed and train your companion. Westie breeders should be available if you ever have questions or concerns.
• Provide a written contract regarding the sale. West highland white terrier breeders must go over this agreement with you to make sure you understand everything.
Avoid pet shops, people selling puppies out of their car or backyard. When there is no guarantee of the purebred dog’s health and genetics don’t waste your time or money. An unhealthy canine will only lead to heartache. Do not settle for anything less than serious westie breeders.